Artsy Fartsy Tourists on Parade

(The title of my post is a line from a song called ‘Into a Mall’ by Don Henry)

Hello Campers!

What a busy weekend we had!  Not only was it a Bank Holiday weekend but we had the usual Cliftonville market on Sunday and the big market for the Ramsgate Arts Summer Squall on Monday.  Chef P took off on Tuesday and it’s a good thing because we both needed a day to recuperate as we were both completely exhausted!

I had been so busy over the past 2-3 weeks getting things made and prepared for the two markets that I barely had time to do any posting as you may have noticed. (hint, hint, nudge, nudge)  I was also very worried on Friday as I checked the weather and it showed that we were going to have a rainy weekend but luckily, the weather held out and everything was fine.

Sunday’s market started out not so good…it was quite windy and I debated on whether to even set up.  I hate when it’s windy because the table cloths blow around and it’s difficult to have signage as they blow away.  Because it was so cloudy and windy, not very many people turned out but the weather brightened up and the sun came out which brought the people out, but it was towards the end of the market time…too little, too late as they say…sigh.

Monday morning was another early start…up at 5:00 to be at Ramsgate at 8:00 to set up before everything started at 10:00.  I don’t like to rush and I have too much to do in the morning before we head out.  We did repack the car the night before, but I don’t usually do that part anyway; no, I get out of bed and come down and get the first pot of coffee going (decaf…or ‘unleaded’ as my dad prefers to call it) so that I can fill a thermos for myself.  Then I have to clean out the coffee filter and put in regular coffee (leaded) for Chef P’s thermos.  I also get some of my breakfast prepped (usually a hearty bowl of my posh porridge) then head up to shower and dress.  Once I get back downstairs, I get the kitties bowls cleaned out as they have to be fed before we leave and clean out the litter boxes.  I still have to make a sandwich or two and pack up the cooler.  Once Chef P comes down to get his coffee, I can fill up his thermos and clean up the coffee machine.  Oh yeah, I need to cook my breakfast so I can eat.  By this time I’m running around with the bowl of porridge in my hand as I head upstairs to make the bed and do something with my hair, get my jewelry on and head back down to clean up the dishes.  By now it’s about 7:45 and time to head out.  No wonder I’m exhausted…and the day has just begun! 🙂

The weather started out really nice.  The Ramsgate festival is well organized and quite a professionally run gig.  We all had these great tables with skirts around them and little canopies on top.  I booked two tables as I have so much.  All the stalls were set up down on the harbor parade and I was set up right in front where everyone walked by…woo hoo!

As it was a Bank Holiday weekend, there were lots of people, locals and tourists.  Where we were set up, everyone was walking by, heading down to the beach.  Many of them stopped on the way down but said they’d be by when they headed back from the beach later on as they didn’t want to carry the stuff down with them…can’t really blame them.  Along the walkway area, they have these rather large (think LARGE beach ball size) cement balls that are spaced about 5-6 feet apart, you really can’t miss them (you can see them in the picture below).  I wish I had a dollar for everyone that walked into one of them as they went by!  One lady who walked into one apparently must have done so before…she was wearing sandals and one of her feet was wrapped up in a bandage!

I had lots of props for my jars to give height which also saved room on the table.  I had an old wine box that I used for my packs of bread dip mix along with a bowl of olive oil and the mix as a sample with chunks of my homemade bread to dip into it.  I also have a few samples of the jams and chutneys for people to try with some small crackers.

I also had lots of brownies, with and without nuts and a whole lot of whoopie pies.  I lost count as to how many times I was asked what a whoopie pie was!  I think for next time, I’m going to make up a little sign explaining what they are.


We had a brief sprinkling of rain in the early afternoon, but nothing to get excited about.  It wasn’t like we had to duck for cover, thank goodness!

There were lots of stalls selling various things: cupcakes, homemade wines, tea, soaps and incense, magic props, handmade toys, jewelry, bakery goods, olives and Italian cookies and of course a few food stalls selling venison burgers, grilled chicken and beef and bacon sandwiches.  I had the smell of bacon wafting through my nose all day!



So all in all, it was a great day, had lots of fun, met some people and made some money.  We were both exhausted by the time we got home which was nearly 6:00 that evening.  Luckily Chef P made dinner but I was so tired I could barely eat.  I was in bed by 9:00 and Chef P followed shortly.

If anyone is interested in giving me a Friday Foodie Word for tomorrow, just give me a page number (1-632) and a word number (1-25) and I’ll give your blog a mention…

♥  Terri  ♥



2 thoughts on “Artsy Fartsy Tourists on Parade

  1. Wow Terri, that is soooooo impressive! How did you do?? Good I hope. You have put a lot of work into your enterprise and it shows! Well done! I’m not surprised you were exhausted!! xxoo

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s